Omega cal. 17”’ pocket watch, circa 1898
An open-faced keyless lever watch with enamel dial and decoratively chased and engraved case
Although founded by Louis Brandt in 1848, the Omega name itself was not introduced until 1894. In that year, the Brandt firm (by then in the hands of the founder’s sons Louis-Paul and César) introduced a new 19”’ [ligne] movement that bore the name that would become the company’s brand – Omega. The movement was designed to have components that were easy to change meaning the watches could be easily serviced by any competent watchmaker, anywhere in the world. The calibre also used a new patented keyless winding and hand-setting system. Following the introduction of the Omega 19”’, the Brandts released further smaller calibres that were based on the 19”’ of 1894 and these included the 17”’ movement as found in the present watch which was introduced in 1898.
The case is highly decorative, the back and bezel are both chased and engraved throughout with flowers, foliage and a stylised dragon’s head.
[M] Omega 17”’ frosted gilded movement, lever escapement, bi-metallic compensation balance, 18,000 BPH [D] white enamel, Roman numerals, outer minute ring, blued steel hands, recessed subsidiary seconds [C] polished white metal, the back decoratively chased and engraved with flowers and foliage, a stylised dragon’s head to the base of the back, plain polished cuvette [S] case signed
Length including bow: 66mm
Depth to centre of crystal: 12mm
Serviced and overhauled by an Omega approved service centre. This watch is sold with a one year guarantee and detailed Black Bough certificate. A Black Bough leather watch pouch will accompany this watch.