Cyma retailed by Goldsmiths & Silversmiths vintage pocket watch, circa 1940
A steel manually wound keyless lever watch with three-tone dial
This pocket watch has a fabulous three-tone dial which comprises a high sheen centre, matt finished chapter ring carrying the black hour indexes and finally an outer dark grey ring which is graduated for minutes – this final element is also present in the graduations for the subsidiary seconds dial. The dress-style case with its multi-faceted bow is typical of the period.
Made by Cyma, the watch was supplied to the Goldsmiths & Silversmiths Company. Established in 1880 at 112 Regent Street, London, the Goldsmiths and Silversmiths Company was later amalgamated with Garrard & Co in 1952. The Cyma watch company was part of the larger Tavannes Watch Co. which had factories and offices in Switzerland at Tavannes, La Chaux de Fonds, La Joux, Le Locle, Geneva and Neuchatel. Vintage Cyma advertisements claimed that it was founded in 1862 under the company name Schwob Frères. Tavannes itself was founded in the town of the same name by Henri Sandoz in 1891.
[M] Cyma calibre 587 manually wound movement with damascened plates, 15 jewels, compensation balance, 18,000 BPH [D] silvered three-tone dial, black Arabic and baton numerals, outer back minute track, engine-turned subsidiary seconds with black divisions, blued steel hands [C] steel case, chamfered bezels, plain snap-on back, faceted bow [S] dial signed Goldsmiths & Silversmiths Co. Ltd. 112 Regent St. W., movement with Cyma calibre reference
This watch has been fully serviced and overhauled and is sold with a one year guarantee and detailed Black Bough certificate. A Black Bough leather watch pouch will accompany this watch.