Barker Bros ‘Evergreen’ Serving Plates
This particular backstamp was used by Barker Bros (and their other company name Royal Tudor Ware) from 1930 up until the 1950s. The ‘Evergreen’ surface pattern was applied to various shapes (and equally various other patterns were applied to these shapes). Barker Bros was founded in 1876 and they were primarily based at Meir Works in Longton, Staffs.
These plates have a great 1930s feel to them – the bulk of the pattern has been applied by transfer with some additional detail then added by hand, such as the green stripe around the outer edge. The plates have no chips or cracks, but the medium size plate does have some ‘crackling’ to the glaze which is only really noticeable on the underside of the plate.
As well as these plates we have a jug in the same design.
Medium plate: 31cm x 25.2cm
Large plate: 34.5cm x 28cm