Minton & Co Floor Tile
Minton & Co were the branch of the wider Minton company that specialised in floor tiles, wall tiles were produced by the Minton Hollins branch of the company. The company was founed in the 1790s and based in Stoke on Trent.
Floor tiles are much thicker than wall tiles and Minton lead the way in the production of specialist tiles for this use, including encaustic tiles. Minton floor tiles were used extensively in church refits in the 19th Century and were also used to floor part of the US Capitol building in 1856. This tile dates to between 1835 and 1868.
The tile has seen some use and has a few chips to the top surface. The reverse of the tile bears the deep Minton & Co mark and also stamped mark for the date – although this second mark is not entirely legible due to the remains of some adhesive.
If this tile has piqued your interest we can thoroughly recommend the Jackfield Tile Museum in Ironbridge.
15cm x 15cm x 2.5cm